Read the article and watch the YouTube video. Support your daughter or female athlete/s.
- Establishing an Appropriate Physical Load
- Accounting For Biological Age
- Encouraging Appropriate Recovery Opportunities
- Supporting Balanced Health in Female Athletes
- Giving athletes appropriate physical loads is key to optimising their long-term development, health, and enjoyment of sport.
- Physical load is determined by the type, intensity, and volume of an exercise.
- The appropriate load for an individual will depend upon factors like their hormonal development and maturation stage.
- Teenage girls are especially vulnerable to musculoskeletal injuries. We should be careful not to over-expose them to exercises that place large physical loads on the bones.
- Adequate recovery is essential to attaining the benefits of training and safeguarding health.
- As parents, we must observe our children for signs of overexertion, and ensure that they take breaks from sport where necessary.